Friday, April 17, 2009

School

For the past couple of months, I have been praying and thinking about going to school again.  I have many issues with school. I get bored easily and will quit if I feel like I'm going to be there forever. I work a full-time job and I'm involved with the college ministry where I attend church, so adding school on there might be too overwhelming for me and plus no social life or fellowship.

 I'm one of these types of people that basically has to really stay focused on school, or I will drop out and I have to give a lot of my time and attention to it, or I will lose motivation. I'm an all or nothing type of person. I can get impatient and lose passion for what I'm pursuing in life and I want to be focused, passionate, and determined. I want to do what I love in life as a life long career, but my issue is I have no earthly idea what that is. I have prayed and prayed about it and will keep praying about it until I get an answer.

After praying and asking God about all of this school stuff, I submitted my admissions application to Dallas Tele Learning College. What I like about it is, I can take classes online without going to one or more Dallas Community College Campuses that offer the classes I need to take for earning my degree without commuting and being there in person. Some of the classes are not set for a certain time, so I can log on and do it on my own time every day of the week. I need flexibility. I work full-time. Self-paced is good for me because sometimes I learn better that way and don't feel bogged down to a set schedule every day.  Also, it took a long time for me when I did homework because I learn differently than most people I know.  I always thought I had learning disabilities and when I went to Eastfield College in Mesquite many moons ago and did a self-paced developmental math course, I made an 'A.' Kudos to whoever wrote that book because I actually learned a lot more doing self-paced than when I was in high school.

I'm excited about all the possibilities. I'm looking into Sociology stuff right now.  I really want to pursue what I have a passion for in life and stay focused on God and what His plan is for me.  I will be 29 soon, and I feel stuck with where I am now in life. I'm ready for a change and ready to press on ahead into the next chapter in my life. I'm grateful to be able to have the possibility of school and learning more about myself and what I really excel in so that I can use my abilities and talents to help people and glorify God.

Since my way of thinking has changed, I can see so much clearer how it is not about me and all about God. Staying focused on God and what He has for me and what His Word says about how we are to live.

Please be in prayer about this and that my double-mindedness will go away as God reveals His plan to me about school.

Your Friend in Christ,
Shanna

2 comments:

Judith said...

I'm glad you took that first step. I will be praying for you.

I've been reading a book that E got for me. It's called "I could do Anything if I Only Knew What it Was: How to discover what you really want and hot to get it." By Barbara Sher and Barbara Smith. It's really good. It's helping me. I actually got the determination to start my knitting site from it and think of my current job as short term.

My Mind Is A Flood said...

Thanks, J!!! Sounds like a good read.